TFSA Investments in Canada
Make the most of what Canada has to offer in terms of Investing.
TFSA Investments are ideal saving plans, giving you full control of your funds with the expert help of your Exempt Market Dealer.
TFSA – Investing Intelligently
Tax-Free Savings Account Investments (TFSA) provide tax benefits for saving in Canada. As opposed to RRSP Investments, contributions made to a TFSA are not tax deductible. Furthermore, the income, whether capital gains or dividends is not taxed, even when withdrawn.
These investments are accessible to Canadian residents of at least 18 years, having a social insurance number. There are three types of TFSA Investments, namely: deposit, annuity contract, and arrangement in trust and they can hold any RRSP eligible investments, including:
- Savings accounts
- Guaranteed investment certificates (GICs)
- Mortgage loans
- Mutual funds
- Income trusts
- Corporate shares
- Qualified Alternative Investments
- Foreign currency
- Labour-sponsored funds
Tax-free capital gains and dividends
• Account holders of TFSA Investments do not need an earned income and they are the only one who can contribute, make withdrawals and determine how the funds are invested. Contributions are not tax deductible. Neither are administrative or other fees related to your TFSA Investment and any interest or money borrowed to contribute to the plan are not deductible.
The amount of investment you make into your TFSA plan is determined by the contribution room. As of 2016, the annual limit of $5,500 and cumulative total of $46,500 has been set. The annual room limit will be indexed to inflation and rounded to the nearest $500. A withdrawal from your TFSA will increase the available contribution room for the following year, as from January 1st. In case of over-contribution, a tax of 1% of the highest amount in the month, for each month the excess amount remains in your account will be applied.
Contrary to RRSP, assets in your TFSA are not protected from creditors in case of bankruptcy or a financial judgment resulting from legal proceedings against you. Contact your Exempt Market Dealer to set up the ideal TFSA plan for you!
Total control over your investments and income
- Building wealth responsibly
- Providing quality alternative investments with real tangible assets, uncorrelated to the stock market
- Reaching your investment goals with a selection of private placements in your overall portfolio